Our School was built in 1939 and opened in 1940; consisting of just the first 2 classrooms at the front of school. The photo below looks like they are enjoying a snowball fight and look at the rose bushes! Our school now has 7 classrooms, a school hall and kitchens. Our newest classroom was built privately through the support of the school community in 2014.
The "newly built" Orston Primary school mentioned in "The Nottinghamshire Countryside" Vol 11 No. 8 (1949)
During WW2, the ground behind the small school (now classrooms, our astro, field and adventure playground) was ploughed up in order to grow potatoes.
Planning stage for the new classroom
We have so many people to thank for making the new classroom a reality:
- All of the parents and families of the Orston Primary School Community for supporting fundraising
- Nick Sladen and Sladen Estates for providing an Architect -Dan Williams through to Project manager - Andrew Tongue for free and supporting the whole project from beginning to end!
- Alex Hole - Governor, Parent and Managing Director of MES Energy for again supporting the project from beginning to end!
- Orston School Association for their support and fundraising during the build and paying the LA loan for the next 3 years.
- Librex Educational Supplies for helping to develop and install the interior of the classroom
- Carlin Construction for building such a great quality, traditionally built classroom, especially Peter Brears and Mick Robins.
- Orston Spring Dash, who raised enough money to buy a brand new, state of the art interactive whiteboard.